Saturday, June 4, 2011

Dangers of Reality Weight Loss Shows

FATLADY.jpg

There's no denying obesity has become an overriding cultural obsession, seen clearly from our insatiable desire for programmes such as The Biggest Loser, I Used to Be Fat, and other such nonsense.

When The Biggest Loser first started airing on our TV screens, I must admit I thought it could be a great way to inspire millions of viewers to get up off the couch and finally lose some weight.

However, there is another side to these programs, which most people don't even know about... and it's not a pretty picture.

Their emphasis on body image, which has potential to encourage eating disorders and other dangerous behaviors. Weight loss is too fast, which can cause heart problems, bone loss, electrolyte imbalances, and other serious issues.The "behind the scenes" practises, which some of the contestants have admitted to partaking in, such as fasting and dehydrating prior to weigh-ins.While people on these shows may temporarily lose weight, many suffer from long-term eating disorders - I wonder if this addressed properly, and what happens to them after the show ends?People viewing at home may be tempted to try out some of the extreme exercises being promoted, which could lead to serious injuries or hospitalization.

Here's what Ali Vincent, from season 5 of The Biggest Loser had to say,

When I'm in the grocery store, I'll do lunges up and down the aisles. In the checkout line, you could do squats. I used to worry about what people thought of me, but I don't care anymore. I know I'm going to get the last laugh.

That reeks of serious obsession to me.

On the other side of the coin, however, the health implications of being overweight are
regularly discussed on these programs, and perhaps presenting the cold, harsh realities in this way could act as a wake-up call to those viewers watching on.

At the end of the day, if the overall focus were on health, rather than how many pounds can be lost in one week, we wouldn't be discussing these health issues.

But, I guess a show called, "Let's Get Healthy," wouldn't pull in many viewers, comparatively speaking.

As Mike said in a previous article, "Nobody wants to see a show where people lose two pounds a week on a sensible exercise and nutritional program." Sad, but true!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment